Generally, skin cancers are divided into two types, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer. There are two kinds of non-melanoma skin cancers, Basal cell carcinoma and Squamous cell carcinoma. Since the thinning ozone layers, chemicals used in everyday activities may cause skin cancers, people with no skin cancer in family history have to alert on the skin cancers as well. We need to make ourselves know everything about skin cancers. We have already known that Melanoma skin cancer is the most dangerous we also need to know more about non-melanoma skin cancers. What are they?
Skin cancer happens because there are healthy cells in our skin that change and grow wildly without the DNA control. How about non-melanoma skin cancers? How and what do they ruin our skin? To differentiate melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers, we can see from the treatments. Non-melanoma skin cancers can be cured by simple surgeries. If the non-melanoma skin cancers are small, they can be treated by medicated cream, cryosurgery or freezing treatment, laser surgery, and cauterization or burning treatment. More kinds of non-melanoma skin cancers being rare to happen are Sarcomas, Cutaneous lymphomas, Keratoacanthomas, Adnexal tumors, Kaposi sarcoma, and Merkel cell carcinoma.
Basal Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma:
1. Basal cell carcinoma is a round cell in the lower epidermis. This skin cancer cell can develop about eighty percent of different kinds of skin cancers. This skin cancer develops most on the neck and head and it mostly caused by the exposure of the sun. People being received radiation therapy may develop this kind of skin cancer as well. It grows so slowly and it cannot spread to the whole body parts.
2. Squamus cell carcinoma. Epidermis of skin is mainly made from flat and scaly cells known as squamous cells. About twenty percent of skin cancers are developed by these cells. This skin cancer mostly caused by the chemicals usage, the sun exposure, and the X-ray exposure. It also can happen to the skin being burnt before. This skin cancer is mostly found on lips, on the inflamed skin, and on the outer skin of anus, mouth, or vagina. It can spread but it rarely happens.
Knowing the arrival of non-melanoma skin cancers earlier is beneficial. Doing a self examination is suggested.
Self examination to know the arrival of the non-melanoma skin cancers earlier:
· Check the whole body and during the checking we have to raise our arms.
· Check a private area like genital and buttock areas with small mirrors.
· Check our legs and feet very carefully and vividly. The soles and the whole toes and the spaces around them need to check as well.
· Check the scalp, back and the neck with the help of others, like family members or spouse.
· Bend our elbow and see our hands, the upper arms, the inner and outer forearms very vividly.
If you find something strange on those parts of the body you have to consult your dermatologist right away. Hopefully, this article about non-melanoma skin cancer can help you broaden your health knowledge.